Oulton Park - Soo Many Races?!

WOW - I just don't even know where to start.

Right I am breaking this down from my point of view:

Qualifying x3

Races x9

Podium x9

Days x1

Still, I don't know how we fit all of this in in one day. That was each 12 chases, 12 assembly areas, 12 Parc Ferme, 12 Podiums, and 2 sore feet. This is normally spread over two full days however at Oulton Park we always only get one day with it being a Nature Reserve (or something, it is pretty though). I think it was fantastic of the whole BRSCC team to be able to get through this and successfully. Well done them (ok that may be a little pat on the back for me as well).

We [CloseRacing] managed to get a really good space right opposite our newest 'paddock pals' Go4It Racing. We pitched up the awning in all its glorious red colour, unpacked and started working on the car straight away. Rose was in much need of some new shoes (tyres) to go with her new brakes and with the first group of qualifying going out at 08:00 Sharpe we needed to be turned round straight away. Finally we were stripped down and hitting the sack around 01:45 AM. 


Alarm goes off at 06:00! Argued with myself at why I do this and then pleaded with Mike to get up to. Ate some cereal out of a cup and using a fork. Suncream on and I was right on my way. The one thing that Oulton provided was extraordinary heat. The sun was just blazing the whole day, closing in on 30 degrees in the shade, and thats without hot race cars and tarmac. 

It was a day timed to precision, no time for mistakes so Mike was up and chasing down his tyres. Finished just in time and managed to hit qualifying. Not a great start but we were not expecting it with new tyres, new brakes and Mike having never driven the track in real life. Rose was sporting our newest decal addition, one we are very proud of. We have partnered with The Royal British Legion to help raise awareness and funds for those that need it. Not all of us are good at asking for help, but with people like this on your side you don't need to. They are always there for you if even if you just want to sit in silence. 

Our driver Mike is a veteran whose career sadly came to a holt when he was unable to continue in the military after a huge injury to his leg. After a year of learning to walk and The Royal British Legion sending him away on trips to get him back to where he needed to be both physically and mentally he found the courage to get the metal work currently holding his bones together removed. Luckily this worked, Mike can now have close to a full life running, walking, racing. 

We qualified towards the rear but flew right up the rankings through out the races, however something is just not right. The car is down on power and there is no sign of where from. However most of the drivers this weekend were all over the shop. We seen the top runners change faces on the podium and those who normally follow Mike up to the A's back down in the B's with him. The heat was powerful and seen even the 'sun seekers' of the paddock taking shelter. 

Mike was seen taking 5/6 places on the start line - by God that man knows how to hit the throttle when the lights go out. However lap after lap he was fighting to hold on. Almost 30 Degrees out there was taking effect on the vehicles with even the Supercups having their regulations on the engine shifted to allow the vehicles to stop over heating. It was a long day and it was relatively calm at our end of the paddock. But it is never calm for long.

Everyone packed up and headed home, to awaken on a Sunday in their own beds. We may have been overwhelmed on the Saturday with the sheer volume of work to do but it is nice to have a day to recover. 

Well... let's see what rabbit we can pull out of the hat at Snetterton in July. 

L x